[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
djDecks • View topic - Focusrite Saffire LE

djDecks

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Focusrite Saffire LE PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:05 am 
Regular

File comment: w00t
40.jpg
40.jpg [ 45.54 KiB | Viewed 1785 times ]

Hey everyone..

I've been eying this piece of kit for my mobile rig and was wondering if anyone has played with it with DJDecks..

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Focusrite Saffire LE PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:54 am 
Elite

Well, I haven't really delved deep, but it looks like the only difference between your model and the regular Saffire is the lack of mic pres, is that correct? If so, I bet your model would work as well for djDecks as the full one. One of our users gave this review of the non-LE version a while back:

viewtopic.php?p=26931#p26931

C

Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro / MOTU 828 mkII

Post subject: Re: Focusrite Saffire LE PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:02 am 
Regular

actually the biggest difference is the lack of DSP for chaining effects. the LE drops 2 outputs, and puts 2 more inputs in their place.. also missing is the 2nd headphone out. and the inputs can run either high-z or low-z.. i'm thinking it'd be good for hooking up the 1200's direct.

all this for $249 USD..

Post subject: Re: Focusrite Saffire LE PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:57 pm 

I would like to ask you guys, how many of you have experience with intel mobile dual core 2 duo processors and firewire soundcards in one setup?

I have noticed that having those two in one setup is going to guarantee some sort of problems. I have bought the Saffire LE year ago and as I mentioned in one of my other posts, it is not working very well on a dell 1520 laptop (which has the Intel T7500 2,2GHz dual core 2 duo processor). I tired it on a HP laptop dv2615en (which has Intel T2310 1,46GHz dual core duo processor) and got the same result. However I tried the Firewire soundcard on other desktop platforms, like P3 and P4, AMD Athlon and P3 laptop and it worked on them without any problems. I tested all the platforms for 24 hours straight to be sure because on my laptop the firewire connections fails working usually after few minutes or few hours (it depends on how many programs I run at the same time). In order to reestablish the firewire connection I have to reconnect the cable or reset the power of the soundcard. Maybe this problem has something to do with the dual core processors dynamic work flow. It adjust its power according to experienced load. It is not like it works a minute on 2,2GHz and another minute 1,1Ghz. It changes the multiplier multiple times per second even without any notable load from my side. I can not turn this feature off, when I do, the processor is going to work on the lowest possible settings by default, which makes running vista almost impossible. I have seen as well other forums on other brands of firewire products that have similar issues with dual core laptops. So I conclude from this that firewire soundcards at this moment are not very good mobile solutions with your dual core laptop. I have not tried yet macbook pro so I have no idea how it behaves on it. But I do not believe, that there is any difference because it has the same chipset platform.

Back to the topic.
This soundcard works perfect with djDecks. I have not seen any problems adjusting it settings to my likings. c0rey sc0tt, There are exactly the same high quality mic preamps as on Saffire ;). However, it is not very good platform for vinyl control. It has only one stereo phones input (which is actually 2x instrument or mic inputs) so you will be able to use only one stereo vinyl input. Other problem is grounding of your vinyl input. On this card there is no vinyl grounding option. You can use the metallic case for grounding but you will have to fiddle a little bit to get the grounding wire to fit on it ;).

Post subject: Re: Focusrite Saffire LE PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:11 am 
Elite

Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro / MOTU 828 mkII

Post subject: Re: Focusrite Saffire LE PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:18 am 

What you are saying does make sense. Especially after I installed the Vista SP1. Before SP1 I did not notice any difference having wireless adapter on or off. But now there is no way I can use my external soundcard when having some wireless networking going on. The sound gets really bad. Somehow it influences whole Vista performance. It does not use any CPU but it creates lags in system performance that ruin the sound totally. This is it, there is no more Vista for me, I'm getting XP until its not to late.

Post subject: Re: Focusrite Saffire LE PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:33 am 
djDecks

I also had problems with Vista with the sound, but I've recently updated both the WiFi drivers and the Display drivers, and now audio works perfectly in Vista for me.

Post subject: Re: Focusrite Saffire LE PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:39 am 
Regular

I'd purchased a XPS m1530 for use on firewire, and the DPC latency on this machine is horrible. I have since returned it, and got an Asus m50sv-a1, which works fantastic with the Saffire LE.

Dell wouldnt do anything about it either when i contacted their support, other than suggest i return it.. The Asus laptop i have, has the exact same intel chipset for and Firewire interface as the Dell. Go figure.