[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
djDecks • View topic - Need help with choosing the set up

djDecks

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:07 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Need help with choosing the set up PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:23 am 

Well, I'm a complete newbie at this, so please don't get offended :P

I've been looking for something simple, cheap (around $500-700), that spins vinyls, can connect to pc and record the output on pc. Also, I would really like to be able to play & scratch mp3 files from my PC on the turntables.

So, I figured I'll buy 2 Numark TT500 turntables first, but I read someplace that you cannot make a connection to a PC then, to record the output (unless you have something like vestax cdi 100, which is too expensive).

Then I thought of maybe getting Numark TTUSB turntables, as they can easily connect to PC, but I'm not sure about the quality here.

I still don't know which mixer to get.

Is there a decent & cheap way (i.e. not via vestax cdi 100) to connect Numark TT500 turntables to the PC? Or do I need to get a different set of turntables instead? What do I need to get to be able to play mp3 files from my PC? I heard you can get some USB adaptor and a special (empty?) vinyl, so you can scratch mp3 files, does anybody know how it works? Would really appreciate any suggestions on how to set this up!

Ty.

Post subject: Re: Need help with choosing the set up PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:04 am 
Regular

You can get the TT500's. Your going to need a sound card and timecode records to get djdecks set up.

Could be alot to explain in one post but you can start by reading here:

viewforum.php?f=11

Post subject: Re: Need help with choosing the set up PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:26 am 

Well, how does this setup look:

2 NUMARK TTXUSB TURNTABLES:
http://www.djdeals.com/numarkTTXUSB.htm

GEMINI PS-626 EFX DJ MIXER:
http://www.djdeals.com/geminiPS626EFX.htm

DJ|iO DJ audio interface for all DJ software:
http://www.numark.com/djio

I don't really want any more technical specifications, but can you tell if the above set will at least be compatible with one another, and play as it should? (I have VirtualDJ and MixMeister btw.)

Post subject: Re: Need help with choosing the set up PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:29 pm 
Regular

I think there's a bit of confusion on how you'll hook up all the pieces of your setup together.

First off, you'll have to plug your tt's into the audio interface, NOT your lappy/pc, so this DJIO unit won't do. You'll need an interface that has at least 2 pairs of stereo inputs, preferably with phono amplifiers (Numark TTX's output can be switched to line, but consider he fact that one day you may need to use you interface with tt's that output only phono).
There are plenty of those out there, the most popular being Maya 44 USB, M-Audio Connectiv, Mixvibes/ESI U46DJ, Stanton's ScratchAmp, NI Audio 8 DJ etc.
That said, you don't really need USB output from turntables, so you can as well get regular TTX's or TT500's to save some extra buck. Unless, of course, this function is a way to connect a turntable as a highly responsive, low-latency ASIO audio device - but that I highly doubt.

Post subject: Re: Need help with choosing the set up PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:07 am 
Regular

Post subject: Re: Need help with choosing the set up PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:23 pm 
Elite

If you just want a cheap bedroom setup then get yourself on eBay.

If you must use timecode vinyl to mix your MP3s, try and look for a pair of Technics 1210's in reasonable condition. They are surprisingly robust and have been the industry standard for as long as I can remember. Even if they have problems you can get them serviced. There are (argueably) much better turntables out there now, but if you're locked in your bedroom then these will give you much stabilty for practicing.

You need to buy a soundcard with at least 4 input channels (left and right for each turntable) and 4 output channels (left and right for each deck to go to your mixer. Your soundcard will need built in pre amps. This brings the sound signal coming from your turntables up to a 'line input' volume so your PC can handle it properly. There are loads to choose from and again, it's a matter of personal preference. Something like:

http://www.esi-pro.com/viewProduct.php?pid=60&page=1

Which, again you might pick up from eBay. You can buy stand alone pre amps, but if you're looking for simplicity then go for the built in ones.

As for a mixer, if you're just messing around then pick up any cheap 2 channel mixer. As you improve your DJing skills you will begin to notice how incredibly poor quality it is and then will probably want to replace it but in my opinion you'll be fine with a crappy 'battle' mixer to start you off. The Gemini one will be fine, but IchRocke is right in that Gemini aren't known as a premium brand in the DJ industry. Something really cheap like this:

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/numark/dm950

Will get you started.

You'll also need 2 time code vinyl discs. DJDecks lets you use a wide range of timecodes from Miss Pinky to SSL.

If you're new to DJing, then this should get you going. If you like it, then prepare for all your money to get poured into buying newer and better gear!!

I personally use a Denon DN-HC4500 MIDI controller as I can't be arsed with a vinyl setup any more. I've used vinyl, CD, Minidisc, and laptop to DJ over the 13 years I've been DJing and I'm happy with the MIDI setup.

Hope this helps. It is impossible to give a definitive answer on what setup for you to buy, as there are too many permutations, but let us know what you go for. :D

And last but not least:

READ THE FAQS SECTION - THIS IS WHAT IT'S FOR :D

Post subject: Re: Need help with choosing the set up PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:39 pm 
Regular

i had the dm 950 and it is not so bad ( i bought it ~65$ but you can find it for a lower price now i think )
now i have a audiophony "backup"mixer which is really nice, i bought it on ebay for 26€ shipped, so something like 32$. and I prefer this one compared to the numark ( but it's used ... )

but tintin is right for a beginner, a simple mixer will do; and given that a simple mixer won't be expensive you won't really loose money

but trust me avoid gemini (at least for the mixer) look at my signature, i'm very happy with my gemini turntables (even if sl 1210 are better,) and that was why i bought a gemini mixer without testing it ( bought it on ebay ... again but brand new and for 196$ shipped :/ so couldn't find a 5channel mixer for this price) and I will sell it in a few months.

Post subject: Re: Need help with choosing the set up PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:21 pm 
Regular

To reiterate the above posts - buy a pair of used Technics SL-1200MK2 or newer versions (MK3D, MK5, 1210's...) turntables even if they are beat up but in working condition I think they will be much better than any other brands in new condition, and you'll learn on the "standard" dj turntable that essentially everyone in the world are and have been using in the past few decades. If you spin elsewhere they'll most likely have 1200's - all you need to bring are your vinyls (laptop and interface card), and a pair of your cartridge (maybe your slipmats too) and you'll feel like using your own setup (minus the mixer but most likely they'll use Rane or Vestax)

If you're looking to learn to scratch, buy a good mixer - buy Vestax battle mixers (PMC-06, 05, etc..) or Rane even if it is used - they key here are the faders and curve adjustments. and use vinyl turntables.

If you're looking to learn beatmatching/mixing, you can get away with an inexpensive mixer like the gemini - they won't last as long, but you can get new mixers later. If you've never mixed before (i.e. never touched vinyl), instead of vinyl turntables try cd/controller turntables with a good response time (pioneer and denon, technics if you can still find some). That's what I would do if I were to start from the beginning today and if I were not interested in scratching/turntablism.

just my 2 cents and hope this helps.