djDecks

It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 7:18 am
View unanswered posts
View active topics

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Sound Cards PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:21 pm 

Before I start, a massive apology to anyone who feels that this question has been posted a million times, people seem to briefly touch on it but I can't seem to find a direct answer to my question:

I recently picked up a pair of Nurmak TT500's, a Numark 1002mk2 mixer and Ortofon Pro S cartridges. Now I'm try to figure out which sound card to buy, and it's pretty much come down to either:

- Serato (surprise surprise)
- Stanton Final Scratch OPEN
- Numark Virtual Vinyl

I've read a thousand and one posts as to which one is better, more reliable, etc etc, but my question is - which one is the most versatile throughout different applications? I've been DJ'ing on my laptop for a while and have switched between different programs as I went (Traktor, VDJ etc) and so I figure if I'm going to fork out a large chunk for a sound card, I want one that isn't restricted to just one program. This may be a stupid question but I just wanted to check beforehand - from what I can figure, Stanton OPEN is compatible with 'virtually any program', but do these other programs (ie. Serato) recognize and work with the sound card? And if so, which control vinyls do I use? (ie. can I get Final Scratch Open, use it with Virtual DJ, with Serato control vinyls, and then switch to Serato, with FS Open, and the Serato Control Vinyls?)

Sorry if that makes no sense!

Also as a little trailer question, I'm presuming that looping is still possible, but it's just done by the buttons on the laptop? Obviously if I was using CDJ's there is the loop button directly on the deck.

Cheers guys, any feedback or thoughts would be great!

Andrew

Post subject: Re: Sound Cards PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:30 pm 
djDecks

Serato software only works with Serato hardware.
I think Traktor required Traktor certified hardware as well, but I'm not sure if this still applies.

Both Serato and Native Instruments sound cards have ASIO drivers, so they can work with most other software too.
Which vinyl is supported by which software varies, and you should look that up on the software's website. djDecks supports most common vinyls.

For which one is the best, it seems that the Native Instruments Audio x DJ sound cards seem to do pretty well.
Final Scratch Open is probably good too.

For looping, you can indeed use mouse or keyboard, or you could buy a small MIDI controller to have some more buttons available for activating loops/effects/etc...