djDecks

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:44 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Makeshift Lightshow using a Beamer PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:42 am 
Regular

Hi,

maybe you've seen that already, but for the benefit of all.

As I am planning to spice up the dance floor by using videos on a beamer, I was searching for ways to utilize the beamer for those tracks where I had no video available.

Searching for lighteffects on beamers I ran across

http://forum.pctweaks.de/anwendungen/19 ... tware.html
or
http://klomeister.eimer-24.de/Daten/bea ... essum.html

Unfortunately in german, but this software seems very interesting (no, don't have any connection with them).

I tried it yesterday and succeeded within 5 minutes.

You could theoretically install it on your gig laptop but I would not do it for reliability reasons (music has to continue whatever else happens, right?).

The software takes sound input, either from the microphone or from the line-in, and based on the bass (kickbass) it senses, it switches and shows effects on the beamer like a laser show. There are also sample videos in the first link.

I installed it on a second laptop and hooked a monitor output of the mixer (you can of course also use a spare monitor output of any DJ controller) to the line-in of that laptop. I had to make sure the line in was set up as a recording device and away it thumped and made all kinds of nice graphics.

Further down in the linked thread there is also a linked sample playlists for the effects (the second link you find will work, the first is broken).

Don't get me wrong, this is no spam or ad for something else than DJD, but I thought it might be a nice add on for DJ's on a budget.

Be warned though, it seems to have issues with Vista or Win. So XP (I have SP3) seems the way to go for it.

Regards

Wolfgang