[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
djDecks • View topic - My Laptop and DX

djDecks

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:28 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:00 pm 
Elite

I've started a new thread for this as we have already established that the problem lies with my laptop and not djDecksDX.

My laptop is a Sony Vaio VGN-NW20EF. Specs can be found .

Ok, so when I run the DX version on my laptop I get audio glitches/hangs/clicks/lags i.e. generally unuseable behaviour. So far I have:
-updated chipset drivers
-updated graphics drivers

and I'm still experiencing the same behaviour.

Having scratched my head for a while, I decided to run Microsoft DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer (located ). This should install any missing .dll's from my DirectX. However, when I've run this file, I get an error message "a cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid". :? I've done a google search to try and work out wht this means, but all I've managed to to is verify that the Cryptographic Services are enabled. I'm not sure what the 'cabinet file certificate' is and how I work out if it is valid.

So, can anyone offer any help or ideas as to how to get the DirectX updated and any other things to try so that I can get djDecksDX running and start video mixing?

Time is now of the essence, as I need to start Video mixing within the next few weeks :D

I don't want to move to VDJ ( :shock: :evil: ), but I really need to start doing VJ sets. HELP!

tintin :D

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:24 pm 
Regular

So http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index ... opic=27064 is not a solution?

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:57 pm 
Elite

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:43 pm 
Regular

So maybe initpki.dll is missing in your system. Virusscan the computer and try restoring initpki.dll.

I would format and reinstall if nothing comes out of this.

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:51 pm 
Elite

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:28 pm 
Elite

Formatted and reinstalled Windows. Run all the updates and tried the Directx update I tried earlier. It now says a newer version of DirectX is installed and it does not need to run.

Marvellous!

However, djDecksDX is still giving huge spikes when running the DPCLat checker, so really, I'm no further forward with my quest to move to the DX version of djD. :evil:

Any ideas folks?

Oh, I ship out to Mallorca for the summer in less than 3 weeks, so time really is of the essence now! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:06 pm 
Regular

Maybe a hardware part is broken. Try a different audio interface if you use one.

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:39 pm 
Elite

It's the same with onboard audio, Denon HC4500 , NI Audio 4, and Vestax VCI-100 mkII

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:32 pm 
Regular

Try a Furmark bench run on both of your notebooks and post the scores.

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:03 am 
Elite

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:18 am 
Elite

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:28 pm 
Elite

I haven't had a chance to run the furmark test on both machines, but as a comparision, I ran with Virtual DJ last night (I feel like such a traitor!). I ran a video in the clipbank all night and played a couple of music videos. CPU useage was close to the red all night and the area of my laptop where the VGA output is was very warm, bordering on hot. I'm assuming the graphics card is located in this area and I'm also starting to think that the problem is my onboard graphics are just not up to running complex video functions. I'm starting to think I should get a new laptop? I'm disappointed as I specifically bought a Sony Vaio as I thought the quality would be good enough to do most things. Booo!!! :evil:

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:22 pm 
Regular

Well, your video chipset isn't meant to do strong things like that, but you can always try some things.

Things that come to my mind : try to disable all the windows 7 fancy visual things (right click on computer, properties, performance ... and set everything to min or disabled)

Then you can also try to see in the bios how much memory is given to your video card, on a "old" laptop I used, i could change the amount of memory from 8Mo (...) To 256, so you should at least be able to do the same if that isn't an automatic feature.

You can also check the temperature of your components if the glitches don't appear directly (but keep in mind that a classic GPU like mine can go from 40°C IDLE to 92°C in less than 5minutes just by launching a high end game at max settings, so i mean it can be very fast)
you can try hardware monitor (HWmonitor maybe) which is free but can't record temp graphs.

Do you have any power management software installed ? you can even change the win7 settings for that. (I assume you've already done that but let's keep the search wide ^^)

And finally, do you use an external power supply for your soundcard ? because i discovered that i couldn't use my new mouse with my soundcard given that they both use too much power from usb :/ (BIG LOL ...) so maybe you have a device sucking power.

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:01 pm 
Elite

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:14 pm 
Elite

Words of wisdom Mr. B :)

@IchRocke: I've got it optimised like you've said. I think I may have to face the fact that it isn't up to video mixing and complex graphical operations.

I'm now looking at this:
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-e-series/vpceb3l0e-bq

Graphic Card is an ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 Graphics

Any thoughts on suitability?

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:40 am 
Elite

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:53 am 
Elite

hmmz quite more pricey it seems, but I'd lean more towards these http://www.sony.co.uk/comparison/vpcec4 ... x0e-bq.cek
most expensive one is an 17inch it seems... I'd prefer 15inch portability-wise, but that's just a matter of preference...

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:08 am 
Regular

Not quite interesting, the radeon 5470 isn't very powerful, so it might do the job, but you can have better.

I agree with MrBlubke i3 processors aren't very interesting either.

i would recommand something like i5, 4Gb ram, GT330 (if nvidia AT LEAST), or 5850 (if available for laptops AT LEAST) because you'll probably have to youse the HDMI output to VJ, and have an external resolution very high for projectors and so on...

If you want, you can post a link to 2 videos (like youtube hd mp4 or something like that) i could download and try on my laptop (and make a video),it is 2,5 years old now but does the job, for instance starcraft 2 runs quite well. And you'll be able to compare the resulsts with yours and with other laptops, (i could also give you my 3dmark/furmark results to see the difference)

But frankly, i wouldn't trust my laptop to do VJing. particularly with my 5400rpm HD.

EDIT : see http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobili ... 698.0.html, 3d marks scores are almost the same with my old 3650 :/ (just below ...)

I don't know it you can order from this website but you might be able to find the same prices/product. but this one is a really nice deal :

http://www.cdiscount.com/informatique/o ... x276v.html

15.6" - i5-480M - 4096 Mo - 500 Go - DVD Burner - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (1.5 Go) - HDMI - Wifi 802.11 b/g/n - Windows 7
~790€

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:05 pm 
Elite

Thanks guys. I need to have a bit of a think about my next move. I don't want to end up with another laptop that isn't up to the job but unless I win the Euro Millions tonight, I'm going to have to be realistic in my purchase :lol: :lol:

Busy weekend, so will keep you updated with progress next week ;)

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:20 pm 
Elite

After much head scratching, I don't think my budget will stretch to a Core i5. So, this is what I'm thinking of getting:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-q5 ... 9-pdt.html

Any opinions guys? :D