[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
djDecks • View topic - My Laptop and DX

djDecks

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:21 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:52 pm 
djDecks

If that's your budget, you may also want to consider this

The price, memory and hard drive are the same, but the Dell has the newer series of processor with better integrated graphics.
According to it's similar in performance to the GeForce 310m, and the cpu should be slightly faster and more power efficient too.

I'm not sure, but looking closer it looks like the Dell doesn't include hdmi output, so maybe it's not the best choice for doing video.
It still might be interesting to look out for other laptops with the Sandy Bridge Intel processors though.

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:51 pm 
Elite

Hey TinTin,

Once you start video mixing you'll never go back!
Any time I do an audio only party it feels like a big part is missing.

I started video mixing w/laptops that had integrated graphics and they had jerky/freeze play while searching/loading.
Now that I am using laptops with dedicated NVidea graphics, I have no problems.

As for the output, HDMI would be good if you're going to be using large HD monitors.
Projectors I chose to go with use the s-video connection. The distribution amp and a pair of projectors with just s-video was a lot cheaper and with the spandex screens I use, I don't think you could tell the difference. (Second projector is for backup.)

Good luck :)

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:34 am 
Elite

So, do you think I'm better off with the Dell even though it has integrated graphics? Does it all just work together better with the new generation of processors?

Cheers Bruce! I'm looking forward to it :D

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:10 am 
djDecks

I'm not sure which of the 2 would be the best.

I just tried with my own laptop (Dell XPS 15 with Core i5-560), it is capable of using the internal graphics of the i5, or a separate Nvidia 420m.
Even with just the integrated gpu (which is slower than that of the newer Sandy Bridge processors), I managed to play 2 HD videos and show them in full-screen on the Full-HD screen.

So I think the main question is if the i3 has enough cpu processing power to do this.

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:45 pm 
Elite

I've ordered the Samsung one as it'll be with my in 3 working days. Delivery on the Dell was 8-10 working days. 2 weeks today I will be in Mallorca for the summer season, so I can't risk it not turning up in time.

Stay tuned VJs!! :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:37 pm 
Elite

New laptop has arrived. That was quick :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:41 pm 
Elite

New laptop is configured and I played out with DX and Vestax VCI-100 MkII last night. Ran like a dream, including running a slide show for the big screens. Hugely excited as I get my music videos today, so willgive them a blast on Sunday night.

I'm winding down my UK work before disappearing to Mallorca for the summer on 25th of this month so things are looking up 8)

Post subject: Re: My Laptop and DX PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:42 am 
Regular

I want to see some picz/vidz please. :mrgreen: