djDecks

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:26 am
View unanswered posts
View active topics

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Skin Test PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:14 pm 
djDecks

Some more progress :)

Loading skins is now almost complete, so djDecks For Mac can now load almost any existing djDecks skin.
This new test loads the spm skin, and shows the first window (player window)

It also has a first early implementation to draw the skin. Currently it can draw the background and button objects.
Mouse-over and Mouse-click animation should also work.

For TabGroups, currently the first tab is drawn.

All drawing is done with OpenGL, which means performance should be very good, and there is almost no performance hit for using transparent pictures.

Drawing text is still a little problematic. Performance is not too good (it is cached though, so you would only notice this when the text or text color changes), and text drawing behaves different from windows (text appears to be bottom-aligned rather than top-aligned)
A solution should also be found for fonts, as most windows fonts will not exist on Mac by default.
One solution would be to create a translation list to select the best replacement font, and maybe an option in the skin to manually select a mac font.
Another solution would be to make font selection in skins similar as in CSS, so that you can enter more than one skin name, and the first that is available is selected.

Another thing that I am still thinking about is how to do multiple windows.
Either multiple windows will be possible in the same way as in windows (I think this is probably preferred), or there should be one large window (maybe optionally full-screen) on which the different windows are drawn.
The second way probably makes it (much) easier to deal with OpenGL. (with different windows, each picture has to be loaded as a texture for each window I think)

Some other good news is that I've made the new Skin implementation very flexible, so it should be really easy to use this for the windows version as well (and use DirectX instead of OpenGL there for example), and even makes it usable to build other programs with as well.

The link is http://djdecks.be/macos/djDecksMac.zip

I'd like to know if it does indeed work, and what the cpu usage is.
For me, iStat Pro indicates around 10% cpu usage (with no audio playing).

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:00 pm 
Elite

On my macbook 2.4 ghz I have around 10-11 cpu usage. Dragging a track to the player plays the track ok.

Could a .png be used for the fonts? On the flash music player on my website it uses a .png's for the fonts and numbers 1 for letters 1 for numbers, maybe worth checking out.

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:22 pm 
djDecks

Supporting bitmap fonts could be an option, but you lose a lot of features that regular fonts have.
Some problems would be no full unicode support (unless you have a huge bitmap font), no high quality scaling, not optimal for character spacing and of course less choice for fonts.

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:58 pm 
Elite

COOL! It's so great to see my player open in OS X! I can't wait until the whole program runs. THANK YOU ADION! Please let me know if I can do anything to help.

C

Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro / MOTU 828 mkII

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:30 am 
djDecks

New version up :)
You can now drag a song to each of the decks, the volume faders are working, and play/cue buttons are working.
The time remaining/elapsed is also shown now, and font alignment and size should also be correct.
For fonts not installed a default font is used, so I think that's why some texts aren't aligned correctly vertically.

Corey: I haven't checked yet, but do you know why the time info is shown in the artist/title field in the mac version but not in the pc version?
Also, the 'Speed' button under the play/pause buttons doesn't work, is this also a TabSelect button or is it done with scripts?

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:06 am 
Elite

Wow! Nice work, Adion! I am done with my current project on the 7th of June or so... maybe by the time I come back to work on the skin I'll be able to do it on the mac! :mrgreen:
Adion wrote:
Corey: I haven't checked yet, but do you know why the time info is shown in the artist/title field in the mac version but not in the pc version?
Well, it's between the screen background picture and the title info test box, so I guess it must be the dropbox that's doing it. Do you think there's any reason the dropbox object might be drawing the time info in the upper-left corner?
Adion wrote:
Also, the 'Speed' button under the play/pause buttons doesn't work, is this also a TabSelect button or is it done with scripts?
It looks like a simple tabselect (which I notice is working elsewhere). I don't see a call to execute a script or anything that should keep it from functioning the same way that the other tabselect sections are working. Perhaps there's something limiting the number of tab sections that respond, currently? The two tab sections after it in the code don't currently change with tabselect buttons either (they are the pitch display, which should be switchable to show range, and the timecode section that should be switchable to line in mode). If it's not the the number of tab sections that's the problem, you might check to see if it's because the tabselect buttons are on the tabs. The sections that are working properly all have buttons that are outside of the tabs.

Hope that gives you a place to start. I feel like a kid at Christmas! It's really coming along!

C

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:58 pm 
djDecks

New update :)

The TimeInfo text had DrawType -1, so that is now no longer drawn in the mac version.
The problem with the tabselect was because after the tabselect to go to the new tab, the tabselect of the new tab was also executed (thus returning to the first tab)
Right mousebutton clicks and doubleclicks should also be handled correctly now.
The waveforms are also working (vertical waveforms aren't complete yet, and BothWaveForms displays also don't work yet)
Pitch and PitchRange are also implemented, but Pitch is still reversed when used on a vertical slider.
The size of the window now also depends on the size of the currently shown windows.
The cue volume button should also be working if your sound card has at least 2 stereo outputs.

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:47 pm 
Elite

This one crashes whenever I drag in an mp3

C

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:54 pm 
djDecks

Strange, it works here.
Is it the same with all mp3's, and is it also crashing with other files (wav, ogg, aif)?

btw, congratulations with your 2000'th post!

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:08 pm 
djDecks

And another new beta, almost finished now :P (well, not really...)

The effects core is integrated now, although the only working result from that are the VU meters that are working.
Pitchbend, BPM detection, BPM matching are also working now, so you could actually do some mixing with this build.
The Master Volume and Master->Cue knobs are also working, as are the BothWaveForms displays.
Changing the position by clicking the waveform overview is now also beat-aligned as in the windows version.

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:25 pm 
Elite

Adion wrote:
Strange, it works here.
Is it the same with all mp3's, and is it also crashing with other files (wav, ogg, aif)?

It crashes with all mp3s, wavs and flac files I've been able to try. The last two versions crash for me 100% of the time regardless of which player I drag a track to. The error message I get is pretty standard:
    The application djDecksForMac quit unexpectedly.
    Mac OS X and other applications are not affected.

Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more details or send a report to Apple.

None of the info in the report is anything I can make sense of and it's really long, but I can copy and paste it for you if you want. Otherwise I'm at a loss.

The test release three versions back (at least I think that's when it was, it's the one where the time was drawing behind the track info field) still loads and plays tracks just fine for me, but I couldn't do much else with them at the time.

Adion wrote:
btw, congratulations with your 2000'th post!
Thanks, but I give you all the credit. :D

C

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:34 pm 
djDecks

Ok, the thing that got added between these builds that might have something to do with it is reading tags.
This uses very basic C calls though, so I don't really know why there would be a difference between running it in 10.4 or 10.5
I'll create a build with tag reading disabled to check if that is really the problem.

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:01 pm 
Elite

Cool. Fast reply, as ever! Let me know when to download again and it shall be done.

C

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:21 pm 
djDecks

New try with tags enabled:
http://djdecks.be/macos/djDecksMac.zip

New try with tags disabled:
http://djdecks.be/macos/djDecksMacNoTags.zip

Let me know if either of these works.
Looping should also be working in this one btw :)

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:47 pm 
Elite

Those seem to work better for me. The build that reads tags still crashes sometimes, and initially it seems like the crash is dependent on the length of the track. It always crashes if I load a long track into a player (like a DJ mix or something), but short tracks seem to be working okay I think. So far, the build that doesn't read tags seems like it works fine with any length of file. Loops only work in the no-tags build.

C

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:23 pm 
djDecks

New build:
http://djdecks.be/macos/djDecksMac.zip

Some more skin objects are working now, cue points are working (but will not be read from the tag yet)
Drag&Drop from iTunes is working, although I don't think it will work for all files yet.

If loops aren't working, do you have a bpm reading? You could wait a little and see if the bpm detection finds anything and try loops again in that case.

I have also started with MIDI support, but if you want to try it, please read and reply the MIDI Test thread.

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:20 pm 
Regular

Regular version:
The only mp3 I managed to load without crash was an untagged 2h set.
No-tags version:
All files seem to load fine.

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:21 pm 
Elite

Cool. this release seems to fix *most* of the crashing issues I was having. There's still a track or two that make it crash immediately but maybe it's not related to length, as longer files now play fine. I'll try and figure out what else is unique about the file that crashes the program. I also can't seem to load flac files. Are they supported yet?

C

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:40 pm 
djDecks

Flac files aren't supported yet.
Would it be possible to send me a file that still crashes?

Post subject: Re: Skin Test PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:39 pm 
Regular

I've finally found 1 or 2 files that loaded into "tags" version without crashing it ;). Those were the only ones not treated with my "routine" of preparing music for use with djdecks. So, the reason for the crashes is probably one of the following:
- bpm written by mixmeister bpm analyzer
- initialkey tag written by mp3tag, or files generally being tagged by this application
- some quirk related to comments converted from or to id3v1 that sometimes produced weird results in DJD (happens with mp3tag from time to time)

here is one of the files that crashes DJdecks.

edit: also, most of my music files hava a cover attached