djDecks

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:52 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules MK2 PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:10 am 
Regular

Hey

Just downloaded the most recent beta. Seems there has been some recent work on this project. Good to see!

1. Playlist browsing
I can't seem to brows anywhere in my playlist and view any real files. The iTunes function shows all my songs and playlists etc, but none of the are actually there. I can't play them and no waveform appears when I drag & drop.

2. Hercules Mk3
I noticed the pre-configuration for the MK2. I was stoked! So, i tried to get it running.

The controller doesn't seem to want to 'connect'. I don't know how to make this work in OS X. It appears in the list as 'not connected'.

I get into the preferences both ways by the looks of it djdecksformac > preferences and Options > options (in the UI menu).

Can you help me figure this out?

thanks

Serato Scratch Vinyl + 2 x Technics 1200s

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:44 pm 
djDecks

I'd recommend you first try deleting Library/Application Support/djDecks folder to make sure all settings are reset.

If you are still having problems seeing/opening files, try opening Library/Application Support/djDecks/log_dx.txt and post the error messages (if any) here.

I'm not sure why the controller doesn't want to connect, I may have to add some additional logging to the next build to check this.

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:58 pm 
Regular

I don't really get it either!

djdecks loads the whole library & playlists, but all the tracks are empty basically- no tags no bpm, no music!

Any other advice about the mk2?
Seems to be working as a sound card, just the midi is not working properly.

any different steps required for os x to get midi devices working?

see screen shot.

Here's the (error?) message
--- LoadSong :Volumes/ROUGHRIDER/DJ Music/Glitch & Dubstep/Ill Gates/729874_Prickles n Goo_Original Mix.mp3
31584.52 ms after closeSong
31584.82 ms after opening song
31644.66 ms at end of loadSong

I have all my music stored on an external hard drive- formatted in msdos format (not HFS) so it is compatible with windows xp AND os x.
not sure if that provides any hints.

thanks

Attachments:
File comment: what i'm seeing
Screen shot 2010-08-03 at 9.54.01 AM.jpg
Screen shot 2010-08-03 at 9.54.01 AM.jpg [ 217.45 KiB | Viewed 10492 times ]

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:17 pm 
djDecks

New beta available. After you run it, you should see in log_dx.txt at the end a list of midi input and output devices.

Currently, djDecks expects that the input and output are named the same for the same device, but I'm guessing that this may not be the case.
(Was the mk2 not responding at all, or could you use it, but were only the leds not working?)

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:45 pm 
Regular

Got the new beta. Installed it. Plugged in MK2. Opened DJDecks.
Set input/output to MK2 (audio) and the sound does come out of the unit. The LEDs are on, but the buttons do nothing. Same as before.
In settings- the device reads as 'not connected' and the 'reconnect' button doesn't do anything.

I'm a bit confused about the difference between the OS/x style settings window using the app menu djDecksForMac > Preferences versus using the Menu > Options. Do they do the same thing? There are inconsistencies between them.

Log_dx content
Code:
--- Log Start 10-08-03 ---
--- LoadSong :Volumes/ROUGHRIDER/DJ Music/Glitch & Dubstep/Ill Gates/729874_Prickles n Goo_Original Mix.mp3
31584.52 ms after closeSong
31584.82 ms after opening song
31644.66 ms at end of loadSong
--- Log Start 10-08-13 ---
*** Midi Inputs:
DJ Console Mk2 Port 1
*** Midi Outputs:
DJ Console Mk2 Port 1

--- LoadSong :Volumes/ROUGHRIDER/DJ Music/Downtempo & dope beats/!sixDegrees/Cheb i Sabbah/La Ghriba La Kahena Remixed/03. Cheb i Sabbah - Alkher Illa Doffor The Nectar Remix.mp3
96820.40 ms after closeSong
96820.45 ms after opening song
97086.47 ms at end of loadSong
--- LoadSong :/Volumes/ROUGHRIDER/!drop_sort/badi assad - Flowing... Into Formlessness.mp3
119895.38 ms after closeSong
119909.88 ms after opening song
119918.99 ms at end of loadSong
--- LoadSong :/Volumes/ROUGHRIDER/!drop_sort/275733_Dayo_Original_Mix.mp3
--- LoadSong :/Volumes/ROUGHRIDER/!drop_sort/275733_Dayo_Original_Mix.mp3
236875.97 ms after closeSong
237164.55 ms after opening song
237168.98 ms at end of loadSong
*** Midi Inputs:
*** Midi Outputs:

--- LoadSong :/Volumes/ROUGHRIDER/!drop_sort/Bonobo/Animal Magic/02 Sleepy Seven.mp3
25785.43 ms after closeSong
25785.50 ms after opening song
25843.59 ms at end of loadSong

Will try again. Maybe i'll clear the app support folder?

Attachments:
djdecks_bugs.jpg
djdecks_bugs.jpg [ 229.77 KiB | Viewed 10454 times ]

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:01 pm 
Regular

I removed djDecks & app support folders.
Reinstalled
unpugged mk2, plugged back in

I did get this in my log file - it did see it as a midi in/out. but nothing worked. 2nd attempt failed, and no inputs/outputs were recognized.

Code:
*** Midi Inputs:
DJ Console Mk2 Port 1
*** Midi Outputs:
DJ Console Mk2 Port 1

*** Midi Inputs:
*** Midi Outputs:

Now, djDecks is not opening, and I have to force quit. a couple times. I've emailed you the crash log file.

not sure what else to try.

ideas?

also, the iTunes library did not load any bpm tags, and the songs did not load properly. I suspect it has something to do with my music for DJing and my itunes library exist on an external FAT-32 drive.

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:03 pm 
djDecks

If it isn't too large, could you try sending me your iTunes library (maybe zipped)?
( Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml )
From the log it looks like there's something strange about the way the path names are stored ( :Volumes instead of /Volumes)

The DJ Console problem seems weird, since it looks like the driver is disappearing after the second try. Have you tried on another usb port or powered hub?

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:44 pm 
Regular

itunes library en route via email.

the Console thing is weird to be sure. I have tried a few USB ports and powered ports, but seems like the same problem.
I've used it in Ableton live with no problems.

thanks
Rowan

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:29 am 
Regular

I'm really enjoying how snappy the Mac version is running overall. It sounds flawless, graphics are tight, and the Dunks 1984 skin works BETTER in this version than in PC .97 (the most stable and reliable version i'm using all the time).

So.. i would love to get the mk2 working.

I just tried it on my other macbook - 13" - and same deal with the unit not showing up in the controllers section. bummer.

shows up in the in/out still, just no midi for some reason.
invisible!

thanks for developing this mac verison. can't wait till it works with my controller.

rowan

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:30 pm 
djDecks

New mac build. iTunes playlist reading should be working now.
I've also found a bug in the way the connected/not connected state was shown for midi controllers, but I don't think this will actually affect the connection itself.
You could try what happens with this build of course.

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:16 am 
Regular

I installed the new version, and reinstalled the Hercules drivers, and voila! The mk2 works now with both my macbook and macbook pro. Great news!

Now, a couple things.
1. I miss the jog wheel being a pitch bend, not a scratch feel. In the PC verison, you press the 'master tempo' button to switch between Sim, Jog and browse. It didn't seem to work for me on the mac version.

2. The skins don't seem to apply properly. Do i need to put them somewhere else? Try setting the skin, and restarting djdecks but no luck.

Thank you!!

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:15 am 
djDecks

In the next build, a long press of Master Tempo will cycle through the jog wheel modes.

Did you select the skin through Menu->Options?
I think selecting it through djDecksForMac->Preferences may not work anymore.

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:55 pm 
Regular

Skin selection didn't work through either menu.
The OS X menu skin options don't seem to do much. The menu > options (in the chrion skin) show the skin selector, but only chrion is visible in the menu when i click to change it. Thats why I was wondering if there were some other place the skins need to live. I read something about the library > app support > dj decks - in another post, but wasn't sure if it was for the installer version? It definately installed the Chrion skin in the applicaitons > djdecks folder.

Also- the iTunes playlists are being read, but still the song paths must not be working yet, as none of the songs are playable, and none of the tags are read (i.e. BPM = 0 for all itunes songs).

Again- my music files are located on an external hard drive volume.

Thanks!

rowan

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:10 pm 
Elite

djRowan wrote:
Skin selection didn't work through either menu.
The OS X menu skin options don't seem to do much. The menu > options (in the chrion skin) show the skin selector, but only chrion is visible in the menu when i click to change it. Thats why I was wondering if there were some other place the skins need to live. I read something about the library > app support > dj decks - in another post, but wasn't sure if it was for the installer version? It definately installed the Chrion skin in the applicaitons > djdecks folder.

the skins do not come default with the download to keep the download as small as possible, and yes, the skins that DO come with djdecks mac will be in skins folder in the djdecks application folder... custom skins \xml however should go into library\app support\djdecks\skins\ and \app support\djdecks\devices\ (Gwen correct me if I'm wrong about this)
this is to prevent that skin/xml changes will revert to original files after upgrading to a more recent build

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:47 pm 
Regular

Seems wonky still. I copied all my skins to the application support/djdecks/skins folder- and now they show up, but i can't apply them. IT looks set in the options, but no change is observed.

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:50 pm 
Elite

djRowan wrote:
Seems wonky still. I copied all my skins to the application support/djdecks/skins folder- and now they show up, but i can't apply them. IT looks set in the options, but no change is observed.

at this point you still need to restart djdecks mac for skin changes but they should load...

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:26 am 
Regular

I figured out where to put my skins.
It wasn't in 'application support/djdecks/skins' like I thought.

I actually had to 'view package contents' of the djdecks app file and then inside there is a skins folder.

This information was not clear to me!

Very handy to know.

Dunks 1984 skin looks good, but the playlist is not working how I want it to.
Most importantly, clicking on the folder does not open the folder. Some combination of arrow keys, clicking and pressing enter can open folders in the playlist view, but it doesn't work properly. Very annoying.
This works as it should in the chrion skin.

What other skins are people using for this? I'm keen to start using this, but it seems the development is quite slow and the activity in the forum is quite low.

Hercules DJ Console.
I am waiting for functionality from the PC version regarding the jog wheels. I don't ever use the 'vinyl mode'/simulation when using the mk2, i prefer they act as jog wheels with the option to change it to 'sim' mode.
How can I modify the behaviour?

thanks!

rowan

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:14 am 
Elite

djRowan wrote:
I figured out where to put my skins.
It wasn't in 'application support/djdecks/skins' like I thought.

I actually had to 'view package contents' of the djdecks app file and then inside there is a skins folder.

This information was not clear to me!

Very handy to know.

not really true... skins there currently might work, but it's not the wanted approach... you really need to put them in "application support/djdecks/skins", but not in the "application support" in the root folder, in the one in your own user folder

Post subject: Re: Bug Reports :: Playlist browsing && Connecting Hercules PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:26 pm 
djDecks

I've changed the mk2 mapping for now so that pitch bend is the default jog wheel action for now.

As MrBlubke mentioned, skins should be placed in the ~/Library/Application Support/djDecks/skins folder. To make sure you are using the correct folder, use Menu->Open Settings folder from within djDecks.

I also tried the Dunks1984 skin here, and I can click any folder I want the same as in chiron. So I'm not sure why this doesn't work for you. Maybe make sure you restart djDecks after selecting a new skin.