[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
djDecks • View topic - Optimum Settings SB Audigy KX + SSL

djDecks

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:48 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Optimum Settings SB Audigy KX + SSL PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:22 am 
Regular

hi everyone,

i wrote adion a pm but i think this could be interesting for everyone searching the cheapest solution for vinyl control.
i bought my audigy 1 used for 23 €.

if anyone is interested i can post my modifications and kx settings (dsp with profx) here when i'm at home.

about the optimum settings:
i only tested the native timecode by adion on cd on a normal player because i have no turntables yet. today i have a test session with turntables and my already bought ssl 2 vinyls.

during the cd test there were no real good results at 5ms latency (lags..) so i try to figur out optimum kx and djdecks settings here for maximum performance.
or are there problems with the timecode because it's beta version ?

my setup is almost the same as adion's:

athlon xp 1800+ overclocked through multi @ 2600+
512 mb ddr333 ram (around 130mb free when running djdecks)
creative soundblaster audigy 1 (sb0090) with kx drivers 3534f (best asio performance) and profx adc as prolog.

already set windows xp pro to "background services" and switched useless stuff off (virus scanner, firewall, icq)

i'm interested in following points of settings:

kx:
- buffer sizes
- asio latency

djDecks:
- almost every point that depends to performance:
debug settings, asio cpu load
final scratch settings: mainly the latency at fs settings. has it to be equal to the asio settings ?

it's all about good vinyl feeling. somewhere i read about a good feeling with 20ms latency an high (low?) buffer sizes. i thought the feeling only depends on the latency.

thankyou for your help. if it works could be sticky for everyone.

Post subject: Audigy Modding Guide PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:45 pm 
Regular

as promised here my short Modding Guide for using an Audigy.
It's much simpler than i've read before.

First you have to check out if this works with your soundcard.

There must be I2S Codec Present under Notes here:

Hardware Modification:

You need one of those cables with whom the CD Rom drive is connected to the soundcard and a female 3,5mm stereo (or chinch or what you want) connector for example of a expansion cable.

Then the two cables has to be soldered together (left to left, right to right and both grounds (if you have 2) to the ground of the cd cable.

Then just plug this self made cable into the aux_in at the side of the soundcard and get it outside for example through a open slotplate. This is your second line in.

Software Modification:

Download kx driver version 3534f. This version has better latency than newer ones.
Download also the ProFx Plugin belonging to this version.

Search the kx forum for it (
or the web. Don't know exactly where i got them from.

After installation apply following
Settings:

DSP:
first load the ProFx by right click -> register Plug ins and choose the downloaded file.

- Unload the prologue by rightclicking -> unload.

- Add the ProFx:ADC by rightclicking -> add plugin

- add 2 a gainHQ (add effect -> basics) and if you like 2 peak meters for seeing the signal. (just connect the peaks to the gain outputs)
you need these to fit the gain to djDecks if you have no preamps.
in my setup i have +22,5 db with a djDecks gain of 7

- connect the adc outputs through he gainHQ to asio0 - asio 3 of the epilogue.

- click on the adc and choose Aux as Rec Source and make following buttons blue by clicking on them: rec source (between L and R), AUX and UDA.

Mixer:

- Master -> Speaker Settings: Mode: 5.1 Souround: off

- Record: Unmute AC 97 and AC 97 2 and set to 100.

- AC 97: for testing you can unmute AUX and Line In but for djDecks only unmute the "mixer source" in the adc at kx dsp.

At the end you can safe all your kx settings in the dsp window.

djDecks:
Outputs:

Driver: KX Asio
Output 1: 4/5
Output 2: 5/6

Input 1: 0/1
Input 2: 2/3

my latency is set to 5,66ms. with a faster pc you can try 2 ms.
decrease latency if you have audio dropouts.

This is it so far.
Really easy isn't it ? But it took me weeks to figure out how easy it is :D

All other kx and djD settings are about to be discussed in this thread.

Perhaps sticky would be good or a new thread as the "low budget tutorial"

--edit--
version 3 above. little problem left mentioned in this thread

Last edited by mc-mike on Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:53 pm 
djDecks

Sorry for not getting back to you yet.

I think it's best to start with the default configurations of both djDecks and kx settings.
In kx, set the ASIO settings to as low as it will work without stuttering sound. About 8 ms should be no problem.

The latency setting on the vinyl control tab in djDecks is not really related to the asio latency. You can set it as high/low as you want. Lower will give a faster response but less stable pitch, higher will give a slower response but more stable pitch.
Note that this value can not exactly be treated as an absolute latency (if this is set to 7 ms for example, then it will take an additional 7 ms if you would suddenly stop the cd/vinyl before it actually stops, but if you just to pitch bends, they will start to take effect less than 0.5 ms after djDecks receives them (this is excluding asio latency))

For 512 MB RAM, you probably best use the 'Streaming ASIO' option for best loading results. The asio cpu load parameter should be set so that the playing speed will never be faster than the loading speed, but normally 55 or 60 is fine.

Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:31 pm 
Regular

ok thank you so far.

so you also have the default settings ?
what latency can you handle ?

perhaps there are more user of audigy cards who can post their settings.

in kx:

in the asio control panel is no 8ms setting. just 5,6 and 10,6

only in the buffer settings there is 8,4 and 8,7

are these also latency settings and what is the different between them ?

in djdecks:

in the debug section:
do smooth fs pitch read-out and accurate mp3 time
do something ? or other parameters vom debug.

and does a lower sound quality or stream size help anything ?

Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:34 pm 
Regular

i have my asio latency set at 21.33 ms and 48000khz i have a pretty powerful machine and 5 ms gives me pitch jumps, plus in the kx buffers settings i put each to the highest one, really helps smooth out the pitch.

in djdecks settings i have both the latency and sensitity set at default (7ms, 400) as i dont really know if these could help, adion you said the higher it is the better the pitch so if i set it at 20ms or so would it make a difference?

anyways just my input, btw i'm using fs vinyl, the 33rpm side running at 45rpm as you can change in the options, i highly reccomend this, for some reason it really improves the response,

Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:52 pm 
Regular

Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:06 am 
djDecks

Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:14 pm 
Regular

Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:56 pm 
djDecks

Post subject: file PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:01 pm 

Post subject: Re: Optimum Settings SB Audigy KX + SSL PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:25 am 

The biggest Performance Tweak for all Soundblaster User ist, going to Asio Panel and changing Sync mode do MAP Timer EVENT. SMP is great too, but it uses 100% of cpu.
I tested the demo with 2ms latency, no crackling. I testes it on Traktor Scratch 1.1 with 0,67ms and sound is great.