[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
djDecks • View topic - Soundblaster Audigy 1&2 & kx Drivers (2 analog ins)

djDecks

It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:36 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Soundblaster Audigy 1&2 & kx Drivers (2 analog ins) PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:30 pm 
djDecks

I think this may interest many of you, as it gives you a cheap alternative for getting 2 inputs.
I always thought the line in and mic in inputs at the back of the card shared the same AD converter (AC97), but it seems that with the kx drivers you can change that so that one of the two uses another AD converter.

I've found this solution on the
It seems that unfortunately not all Audigy 2 cards have this additional ad converter, but it worked with my SB Audigy 2 Value, so I think you probably get it working with yours as well.

The SB Audigy2 value is a lot cheaper than the Platinum version, so I think this is prety good news for some of you.
(My audigy 2 cost me about EUR 80)

I'm gonna describe how to completely install and set up everything.

1. Install the kx drivers
Get the latest version of the drivers from and install them (You can best download the Full Version)

2. kX Drivers configuration - DSP
Once they are installed and you've restarted your computer, it's time to set up the routings, this is a bit complicated, but you only need to do it once.

1. Open the dsp window by right-clicking the kx icon in the system tray, and select 'kX DSP'
A window shows up, and at the end of this description, it should look like this

2. You can remove effects by right-clicking them and selecting 'Unload'
Do this with all effects that are not shown in my picture.

3. If you want to be able to apply a gain to to the inputs before they go into djDecks (so that the vinyl volume matches mp3 volume) you should add 2 'gainHQ' effects. You can find these by right-clicking the dsp window, and selecting 'Add Effect/Plugin'->'Basic'->'gainHQ'
You can rename them by right-clicking them and selecting 'Rename'
This makes it easier to understand what they are used for.
In my setup, they are called 'Gain Mic In' and 'Gain Line In'.

4. It's also useful to add some Peak plugins, which are VU meters, that make it easier to set the gains correct.
You can find them in 'Add Effect/Plugin'->'Basic'->'Peak'
Again you can rename them so that you know what they are for.

5. The 'prolog' contains all inputs.
It is best to disconnect all inputs that you don't use,and certainly disconnect AC97 left/right and AC97 2 left/right.
To do this, right click on the connection and select 'Disconnect'
To know what each connection is for, hold your mouse over it and a tooltip will appear.

6. Connect the AC97 from 'prolog' to 'Gain Mic In' and the output of 'Gain Mic In' to 'asio0' and 'asio1' on the 'epilog'.
If you haven't added gains, directly connect AC97 from prolog to asio0/1 on epilog.
Do the same for AC97 2, but to Line in and to asio2/3.
You can now also connect the outputs of the gain to the peak meters if you have added any.

7. The 'Direct Line Volume' and the 'Stereo Mix' can be used if you want to play something on the line-in withouth having to start djDecks.
It directly routes the inputs to the front output.
If you don't need that, you may skip this step.
Add 2 Stereo Mix effects (Add Effect/Plugin->Basic->Stereo Mix) and rename 1 of them to 'Direct Line Volume'
Connect the first 2 outputs of the 'FXBus' to the Stereo Mix effect, and connect the output of the Direct Line Volume to the second input on the Stereo Mix.
Connect the output of the Stereo Mix to the first two inputs of the 'xrouting'
Connect AC97 and AC97 2 to the inputs of the Direct Line Volume.
Double click the 'Stereo Mix' and set both sliders to 100%.
Double click the Direct Line Volume and set both sliders to 0%.
Make sure you set these to 0% before starting djDecks.
If not, you will hear the timecode on top of the mp3.
If you want to listen to a song withouth starting djDecks, set these sliders to 100%.

8. You should already have an EQ on the main output, so you don't need to add that.
I have added a second EQ for my second pair of speakers, but you don't need that either.

9. Double click the Surrounder effect, and make sure Speaker Mode is set to 5.1 and Surround is set to 'Off'.

3. kX drivers configuration - Mixer
1. Close the dsp and open the kx mixer by double-clicking the kx icon.
At the left of the window you'll see different icons that represent different tabs. I will go through each of them.

2. Master: Here you can change the master volume. The 'Toggle Swap Front and Rear mode' switches the front and rear outputs.
Because the rear output uses a higher quality DA converter, it is recommended to use this for the master out, and use the front out for headphones for example.
If you use an external mixer, it doesn't really matter, as one channel will always have to use the front output.

3. Ins 'n' Outs:
AC97 In should be unmuted and set to volume 100.
If it appears that the sound is too loud/clipping you should lower this.
AC97 In 2 should also be unmuted and set to 0dB.

4.Recording: Unmute and set volume for both AC97 and AC97 2
If you want to record a vinyl for example, it's recommended to only unmute the source you want to record from, and mute the other sources.

5.AC97:
Click the 'Reset AC97' button.
Unmute the 'Line In' slider and set volume to 0db.
Set Recording Source to StereoMix (the drop down box)
Now start a command prompt: 'Start'->'Run...' and type 'cmd' and press ok.
Type 'kxctrl -sac97 2 0' in the window you see.
If you have an Audigy 1, according to the original thread on the kx project forum, you also need the following command:
'kxctrl -shw 19 1' before you do the -sac97 command.

Go back to the kx mixer, and now set the Recording Source to Mic.

6. You don't need to change anything in the other tabs, so you are finished here and you may close the kx mixer.

4 - kX Configuration - ASIO
To open the kx ASIO config panel, right click the kx icon and select Settings->ASIO control panel.
Make sure the format is 16bit/48kHz.
The latency depends on your setup.
5 ms should work fine if you have a good pc.
I am personally happy with 10 ms on my Athlon XP 1800 w/ 512MB RAM.

5 - Hardware connections
At the back of the card, you have various connectors.
Look in the manual to know what each connector is used for.
Connect the Rear Output to one channel on your mixer (a Line channel, not phono)
Connect the Front Output to another channel on your mixer.
(If you don't use an external analog mixer, connect your amplifier to the rear output, and your headphones to the front output)
Connect the first turntable or cd player to the Mic input (in case you want to play regular vinyl, you need to go through a phono pre-amp as well)
Connect the second turntable or cd player to the Line input.

6 - djDecks configuration
Open djDecks and go to the options.
1. Sound
Select 'ASIO - kX ASIO' as Output Driver.
Select 4/5 for channel 1 output and 6/7 for channel 2 output.
Optionally, select 8/9 for channel 3 output to route the third player to the center/subwoofer output of the soundcard.
Select the output mode you want to use
(5 when using an external mixer, 4 if you want to use headphones in the pc)

2. Input
Select 'ASIO - kX ASIO' for both input 1 and input 2.
For input 1 select asio channels 0/1
For input 2 select asio channels 2/3

Now you are ready to play with 2 turntables with a simple SB Audigy 2 :)
If there are still things unclear/not working as expected, let me know and I'll try to update the guide.

Update: As said in the replies, the mic in is indeed mono, and can thus not be used to detect a timecode signal.
However, on the card itself, there are also inputs for cd and aux.
You can use either one as well.
Since a lot of pc cases now have audio connections, you can try to connect the speaker/line out connection to these internal inputs, and connect your turntable to this connector.
Simply replace 'mic in' in the text above to 'aux'.
I have been using this for a while now and it works perfectly.

Last edited by Adion on Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:10 am 
Regular

Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:18 am 

Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:20 am 
djDecks

Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:38 am 

Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:10 am 
Regular

Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:31 am 
djDecks

Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:34 am 
Regular

Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:45 am 
djDecks

Are you sure?
From what I've read on the kx drivers forum you can't have 2 simultaneous recording sources with an sb live.

Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:43 pm 
Regular

Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:51 pm 
Regular

Im spanish and i dont understand it to well but will get someone to do it for me, if i understand good, u get a cable from the line and other from the mic to the pre amps and to the turntables so u use mic for 1 turntable and line for the other. is the quality sound the same. Thx

Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:48 am 

Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:28 am 

Post subject: Re: Soundblaster Audigy 1&2 (Value) & kx Drivers (2 PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:42 am 
Regular

Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:31 pm 
Regular

Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:18 pm 
Regular

hi adion,

can you give me a short explanation what you changed in your dsp configuration ?

i have recently bought a sb audigy 1 (sb0090) for 20 € :)
an i want to do your kx mod.

but the dsp looks different than your audigy 2 one.

i'm sure that this is possible. my card has got 2 converters.

here my configs:

thank you very much!

Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:45 pm 
djDecks

The explanation is in the text below the picture?

Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:46 pm 
Regular

welll ok,

i didn't read it exactly and wonder why the screenshot looks so different to my dsp.
the problem was that the screenshot is after the mod :D

so i only need a analog to aux_in adapter to have 2 timecode ins. 8)

do you know if i can buy such one without modding an old soundcard like this guy:
http://www.maxminn.com/emily40/auxsc00.html

Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:48 pm 
djDecks

I don't know if anything like this is for sale. Personally I have been able to use the audio connections of my pc case for this, which had loose wires inside the case that can be connected to the soundcard.

Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:40 pm 
Regular

ok i did the mod with the aux/cd in but somehow i have a problem.

i soldered a stereo jack on a cd-rom drive sound connection cable(red to red, white to white, ground left out).

if i try to select the aux oder cd in as sources i get no sound.

any idea ?