djDecks

It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:47 am
View unanswered posts
View active topics

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: CD control with CDJ 800s & Hercules DJ Console MK2 PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:42 pm 
Regular

Hey there,

I've been using 1200s for vinyl control since i started using DJD and quite enjoy it. However, I have recently had a mind to switch over to CDJs as it is often that I come across systems that require full revamps to get the TTs setup. It would be very convenient to be able to use both- as the situation permits.

I have been able to get relative mode working using my setup- but I have not been able to get consistent and reliable results with absolute mode. I want to use absolute mode because I would like to take advantage of the 'cue' button on the CDJ, instead of using the keyboard, or mouse to use DJD cue points.

I have had an immense amount of trouble getting the signal strength to be adaquetly low- i've had to burn several CDs with different volume levels (like -15, -20, -30 db etc.) and only with the -30db version did i get 'on the charts' with the calibration. All the others seem to say 'Signal too high/loud!'.

I've tried the Serato CDs- to no avail- only relative mode works on those- and i think i read in a post somewhere that it is confirmed absolute mode doesn't work with the SSL CDs.

I would like to know if anyone is successfully using absolute mode, with the hercules dj console mk2 - and - what the DB adjustment is AND what TC CD is being used.

Thank you- hope someone can help!

rowan

Serato Scratch Vinyl + 2 x Technics 1200s

Post subject: Re: CD control with CDJ 800s & Hercules DJ Console MK2 PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:47 pm 
djDecks

So you tried this with the djDecks Timecode too?
The SSL CD timecode does work in absolute mode, but you need to download the SSL CD timecode plugin, which will overwrite your SSL vinyl timecode, so you can't have both available at the same time.

Post subject: Re: CD control with CDJ 800s & Hercules DJ Console MK2 PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:58 pm 
Regular

Hey - thanks for the snappy reply.. Been trying this on and off for a few months with no luck.

I tried the DJD TC- that was the non-SSL cd attempts I tried.

I didn't know about the SSL CD timecode plugin. I will give that a try..

With the DJD TC- as i mentioned- i might not have hit the proper volume level for the TC track..

Basically what happens in ABS mode- is that it appears to work (i.e. restarting track on CDJ goes to beginning of track in DJD), but then occasionally it shudders, jumps around, and the cue button does not actually work. I set a cue point, and then it does not return to the cue point via the cdj- only by triggering it digitally does it work properly.

Do you have a precise DB level for the hercules? i find this really annoying-- can't change the input volume level- so i have to adjust it in .... wait a second i just thought of a glitch i might have introduced into the mix...
Oh my - totally. i've messed up. I used Ableton live to adjust the DB level and bounce down diff versions of the TC- and i just noticed that it must have warped the TC ! HA .. oops. funny it found a bpm in the TC.. kinda weird. went from 15 mins to 16.19. No wonder it was flaking out.

i will have to try that again!

still: Do you have a precise DB level for the hercules?

Thanks!
rowan

Serato Scratch Vinyl + 2 x Technics 1200s