[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
djDecks • View topic - Unstable BPM

djDecks

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:04 am
View unanswered posts
View active topics

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Unstable BPM PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:01 pm 
Regular

Is it normal to have the BPM go between like 150.0 and 150.4?
Setup in my signature. I would like it to be more stable.

Using Regular djDecks with these settings:

I must note they are not optimized at this moment.

Post subject: Re: Unstable BPM PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:37 pm 
Elite

I use djd timecode on CD and get practically zero pitch wandering. Could be lots of things I suppose. A few questions:
-How worn/used are your Timecode Vinyls?
-How new are your inter connect RCA leads? Could they be damaged at all?
-What signal strength do you get when everything is running? Is it consistent?
-Are you using pre-amps for the turntables?
-Is WiFi turned off?

Not sure if you've already thought of these things, but it 's something to get you started :D

Post subject: Re: Unstable BPM PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:33 am 
Regular

Thanks, sorry for late reply.

Just played around and results are better then before, but maybe it can be even better.

Vinyl are not used very much, I use the backside now that hasn't been used ever.
Cables are in excelent shape, connectors also.
Signal strength 27-29 thousand, marked as 'high.'
Turntables have line out. :)
No wifi at desktop. :D

Sorry btw for missing on viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3107

To answer the questions Adion put there:
Needles are stock, Stanton 500.V3. Not used very often also.
Tried all pitch smoothings:
- None is no go. 0.5BPM offsets at 200BPM track.
- SM1 v0.72, looks more stable, however recovery after scratching takes longer.
- SM2 v0.74, bit less stable, but recovery from scratching is faster.
Pitch Detection Method (Debug tab) is 2. (What is this about??)
TT's are leveled and setup correct also.

So after a bit testing it is mainly stable or differs 0.1BPM at 200BPM track. Must say this is for deck A/TT 1. Tomorrow the next one.

Edit:
Damn, just tested normal vinyl via line. This sounds kind of gapped. :s Tried other headshell and still gapped like. What could this be? :s

Edit2:
Hmm maybe it was due to the vinyl. Others sound practically good.

Edit3:
Ok so this could be wrong after all...when routing tt directly to mixer the one sounding gapped earlier sounds good.

Post subject: Re: Unstable BPM PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:42 pm 
Regular

Found what caused the gaps: Inpunt gain/volume of the soundcard was to high, it went clipping.
Second table is configured today.

I don't know what to think...one moment they are almost stable (0.2BPM offsets), other moment they jump around 0.6BPM. :?

Callibrate pics again:

And settings:

What value should the 'latency' have? Input/Output?

And what results etc are normal? What fluctuations?

Post subject: Re: Unstable BPM PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:06 pm 
djDecks

Do you notice the fluctuations when trying to mix?
Also, if you keep the options window open while vinyl control is activated, does the sync offset also fluctuate a lot?
0.6 bpm sounds a little much though, if it is around the same position on the vinyl maybe it are scratches on the vinyl? Otherwise the waveform looks good.

Btw, I'd also recommend to leave the 'latency' at the bottom at 7 ms, perhaps even try higher.
It's a complex variable that indirectly affects the latency a bit, but it's more dynamic.

Post subject: Re: Unstable BPM PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:57 pm 
Regular

It is hard to mix when it jumps so much around sometimes.

"Synch offset" is counting down it looks like.

Strange problem anyways, one moment it's no more than 0.2BPM fluctuation, other cases really 0.6BPM. I will watch the needle position and note it down in order to find out if it is due to the vinyl.
Is there also a posibility the turntables internals are of low quality so it can't keep a steady speed? (Would surprise me however.)

Oh and one more: The needles catch quite a bit of dust. People say it's time to change them then, but like I said earlier, they are not much used...I could take the risk of buying new (other) cardridges+needles etc... :?

Post subject: Re: Unstable BPM PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:34 pm 
Regular

Could viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1648&p=9860 be related?

And please tell me: What fluctuations are normal?

Post subject: Re: Unstable BPM PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:49 pm 
djDecks

I think fluctuations are about 0.1% here, I don't suppose you have Serato vinyls to try with?
Also, have you tried with absolute mode instead of relative mode?
You could also try manually increasing the pitch variance setting, although this will reduce sensitivity too.

Post subject: Re: Unstable BPM PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:27 am 
Regular

Thanks.
No other vinyls to try, but these TS two.
Never really tried absolute mode. Noted.
How to do this manually? Set pitch variance higher?

I always heared a noise when the platter of deck 2 was spinning, you know, at every round like it touched something.
Opened up the table, stripped motor down to the magnetics/spool. One of the spool wires was crossing the magneticfield, put that aside and build up again. The 'wrong sound' is gone now.
Quick config done, turned over the timecode vinyl to very less used side and start playing. Around 0,06% fluctuation (the value as shown by SSL skin, not in djDecks options). Sick right?

But, as soon as you pick up the needle and put it back again...50% chance it fluctuates like hell again and if it does...the chance it's good again after a 2nd picking up/putting back is very less. Doing some back and forwards spins most times do end in the good situation.

Confusing...
Because it is possible to have stable pitch, I would say it's not the turntables.
Because it is possible to have stable pitch at places on the vinyl were is can be unstable as well, I would say the vinyl is not the worst part here.
Because it's stable when needles are exchanged (deck 1 -> deck 2), I would say it's not the needles.
Even when exchanging needles and vinyls, most of the times the situation does not change.
... :shock: :?

Post subject: Re: Unstable BPM PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:57 am 
djDecks

In regular djDecks, the pitch variance is just a text box, so you can type in it to change it to a higher value.
In djDecks DX, you should be able to click it and drag up or down to change the value I think.

Btw, did you try with both DX and regular, and if so, was there any difference? (I think it probably won't make much difference)

Post subject: Re: Unstable BPM PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:56 pm 
Regular

DX was pretty much the same yesterday.

I will try turntable at onboard line in soundcard today or soon. Only way to test audio device.

Maybe I can test the turntable setup by replacing one with a oldskool Philips player from grands in some weeks...at least it's a way to find out where things go wrong.

Post subject: Re: Unstable BPM PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:47 am 

Ok, keep us posted.

Post subject: Re: Unstable BPM PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:32 pm 
Regular

It's been a while but:
I guess the onboard soundcard is more stable because it does have extreme high latency.

Haven't got the other turntable yet.

I will update when I know more. :)