[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
djDecks • View topic - Radio broadcasting skin?

djDecks

It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:12 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Radio broadcasting skin? PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:04 am 
Regular

Anyone interested in developing a Radio broadcasting skin?

I’m using Tintin’s T4 because this is the best option for me at the moment, but it could be much much better! I’m not a programmer, but I would like to share my experience when using DjDecks with live radio broadcasting.

So what does a broadcast mixer need to have and what not?
A broadcasting mixer needs a simple overview. Less is more!

Here’s some of what my ideal skin would look like.

-About 4/5 long faders with faderstart
Faderstart makes the assigned player start automatically when the fader opens.
Above the fader a cue PFL/Master button should be added to switch between prelisten and master output. Beneath the fader a start/stop button is added. So there are two option: Play track with startbutton or use faderstart.
Faders have names that can be changed Like MIC, PLAY1, PLAY2, JINGLE1

- A big bright stereo VU/PPM meter on top of the mixer window from left to right.
A little bit about what a PPM meter does:
A Peak Program Monitor (PPM) is an audio metering device. It's general function is similar to a VU meter but there are some important differences.
The rise time of a PPM (the time it takes to register the level of a sound) is much faster than a VU meter, typically 10 milliseconds compared to 300 milliseconds. This makes transient peaks easier to measure. The fall time of a PPM (the time it takes the meter to return to a lower reading) is much slower.
- Two big player windows with info: track name, length, play time left
- Two small jingle player windows (sampler).
- A Clock! Broadcasters need the play announcements at a given time.
- A recordingbutton the record the show
- Autoplay button!

Some other functions should be available but with the option to hide them:
- A simple playlist window (with search option) to load tracks from. Tracks can be dragged to the Player window or a fader.
- Jog wheels for changing the position, but with the option to hide them also.

Not needed:
Looping, pitch, cue points, BPM, EQ, FX, Waveforms etc

It would be great if someone wants to share ideas or wants to build it.

Mike

Post subject: Re: Radio broadcasting skin? PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:59 pm 
Regular

Creating a skin like this would not be that hard at all.. but some of what you ask is more a matter of programming and not skinning, especially the meters.

Actually it might not be a bad idea if djDecks would have more broadcast type meters like you describe.

Maybe Adion can have a look at this, I would be happy to work out a skin like this..

The faders and such stuff should IMO be a separate controller surface, or you could use a touch screen for this.. The auto/fader start buttons would be 'just' startbuttons, having fader start would again be a software thing, altough maybe an idea to add an doption to start player when the fader assigned to the chanel level is moved up from zero..

Post subject: Re: Radio broadcasting skin? PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:56 am 
Regular

Thanks for your reply paulheu!

If would be great if Adion could add these features like: clock, faderstart and a VU meter with adjustable fall back and rise time. Maybe for the new DX version?

Faders is just to make it visual and look like a broadcast mixer. I will still use my Reloop hardware but along with a pc keyboard.
As the skinning concerns, characteristic for the broadcast skin is visibility and simplicity.

I would like to share a screenshot of a cartmachine/jingleplayer for inspiration ;-)

Post subject: Re: Radio broadcasting skin? PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:32 pm 
Regular

I've been following the boards from a distance for a while because I quit doing gigs and I'm taking up other hobbies. Anyhow, I'm actually building a hobby radio studio at home, just for fun. I've been a radio dj for almost 20 years and that's why I'm really interested in this topic.

I actually disagree it would be simple to use DjDecks as a radio software because a decent on-air suite needs much more than 2 players and some jingle cart players, for example:
- intro timing, intro points, outro points, mix points
- an accurate and fast segue editor. In a modern radio studio almost nothing is done live. Most mixes are done beforehand to make things sound tighter
- 24/7 playlist creation, based on predefined clockwheels and formats
- creation of events like top of the hour jingles, commercials, sweepers
- voicetracking

It would be nice to use DjDecks as a radio suite, but it takes a lot more than just a skin. I think it would take Adion's time away from further developing what DjDecks actually is: a great software for mixing.