djDecks

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:27 pm
View unanswered posts
View active topics

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: dx decks, file analyser & replay gain PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:50 pm 
Regular

hi all

just after a bit of advice please.

In DX you have the track analyser which i presume creates bpm and also looks at file for replay gain (not sure if store this as mp3 tag setting) or if it is on dx it is done on the fly of loading.

1) is it worth running the analyser in DX on the tracks
2) does replay gain get stored in a tag (and what tag if so) or is now dynamic at each track load

3) i have been using cross dj software free trial for the analyser i have made sure that the files i have, have no mp3 tags (removed) then recreate the artist and title then analyse the track hoping it will create a consistent volume across all track as some time one which havent been analysed seem to be a lot quieter and dont seem to have the omph of analysed tracks

4) I see there is replaygain_preamp variable in the config .. what does this represent and how changing the value may change the performance and how DX sounds

Adion if i could have your input on this i would be appreciative (and also hope you are well)

many thanks

Post subject: Re: dx decks, file analyser & replay gain PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:43 am 
djDecks

ReplayGain is stored in the tag (the replaygain id3 tag is called RGAD I believe)
It is stored by the analyzer, but when a file doesn't have a replaygain value stored yet, it will be analyzed when loading the track.

The pre-amp setting sets the gain that will be applied before the replaygain gain. By default it is matched so that on average properly mastered tracks without analysis will have the same volume as tracks after replaygain is applied.
For some tracks, this might mean that replaygain calculates a gain that makes part of the tracks clip (will be limited instead in djDecks, but might still cause audible compression), so you might choose to lower this value to reduce the times that this clipping would occur. The downside is that the overall volume will be lower, so you would need to turn up your amplifier a little. If soundcard or amplifier are not so good this could increase the audible noise.
For most use I'd say the default should give the best result.